Monday, May 19, 2014

NBA Playoffs 2014: Updated Performance & Power Ratings

I held off on updating this for each successive playoff round since it is a big part of my handicapping process - and my clients pay me to handicap these games whereas this blog is offered for free for any potential clients to get a feel for the kind of work I do & the models I build to assist my handicapping efforts (how many other handicappers offer this kind of information?) - but here is the latest updated information through yesterday's Game 1 between Miami & Indiana.

First up here are the performance ratings which I have posted numerous times throughout the season - keep in mind here the "rank" column obviously only includes teams that made the playoffs (#1-16):




OFFENSE
DEFENSE
TOTAL
Team SUM RANK
SUM RANK
SUM RANK
Miami 23 1
27 5
50 1
Oklahoma City 24 3
32 6
56 2
San Antonio 32 7
25 4
57 3
Indiana 46 16
17 1
63 5

We can see from this matrix, which weights all areas of performance I evaluate evenly, we have 4 of the top 5 teams performance wise so far in the playoffs still alive - #4 is Washington, which bowed out to #5 Indiana in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

Next up let's take a look at the power ratings, which properly weight performance in each of the 8 statistics I track that have proven to have the utmost important in winning games:



POWER

RATING
San Antonio 6.0
Miami 5.6
Indiana 4.0
Okla City 2.8

 
Based on my power ratings let's take a look at the projected lines my model has for the upcoming series.
 
INDIANA -2.5 miami
MIAMI -5.5 indiana
 
SAN ANTONIO -6 oklahoma city
OKLAHOMA CITY -1 san antonio
 
Based on the line on yesterday's game 1 between Miami & Indiana we can see there was value on the Pacers as I had them as a small favorite, yet they were a small underdog.
 
Tonight's Game 1 in the Western Conference I have as Spurs laying 6 which is right where the number has settled in Vegas.
 
Keep in mind not only would we want to use these power ratings but also use the power ratings I have posted for the full regular season, along with measuring key factors that impact playoff series such as emotional levels, needing games, and the old zig-zag theory.
 
Remember these lines & formulas are all mathematically based & are not tweaked at all based on my perception.
 
 
Email me directly: boss@thesportsboss.com
Visit my website: www.thesportsboss.com
Follow me on Twitter: @SportsBoss
Follow me on Facebook: The SportsBoss
Leave comments here on the blog

COPYRIGHT: THE SPORTSBOSS, 2014
 

No comments:

Post a Comment