1. OHIO STATE STARTING CB Bradley Roby is suspended for the Buckeye’s opener vs. Buffalo. Roby is one of the top CB’s in the country earning 2nd Team All American status LY, and this will be missed.
2. OHIO STATE STARTING & BACKUP RB’s Carlos Hyde & Rod Smith are suspended for the Buckeye’s opener versus Buffalo. The running game will fall on the shoulders of Bri’onte Dunn who had just 133 yards LY as a true freshman.
3. OHIO STATE STARTING MLB Curtis Grant is listed as questionable for OSU’s opener versus Buffalo with a concussion. Although Grant doesn’t have a ton of experience he does have more than most of the other backup LB’s on the Buckeye’s roster, but his loss will not have a great impact considering the opponent.
4. OHIO C Mark Smith, whom was battling Lucas Powell for the starting job is out indefinitely with a hand injury. Smith & Powell had about the same level of game experience, but most said Powell was the more talented of the duo and was likely to get the starting gig. With that in mind this isn’t a critical injury unless Powell was to go down before Smith returns.
5. OHIO 2nd & 3rd string TE Davon Henry & John Tanner, respectively, are both OUT FOR THE SEASON with shoulder injuries. That is a big hit to the depth of the TE spot, although starting Senior Troy Hill is the only one of the three with experience including receptions. 4th string TE Tyler Knight has some experience including at the JC level so those losses shouldn’t be huge this season – but down the line their lack of development could hurt.
6. OKLAHOMA backup CB Cortez Johnson, who sat out LY after transferring from Arizona after his Fr. season is out for Saturday’s game vs. ULM due to disciplinary issues. Johnson is the only backup CB for the Sooners who has game experience at this level, which will impact their rotation and nickel/dime packages, especially against a good and experienced offense like ULM.
7. OKLAHOMA STARTING DE Chuka Ndulue is also out for Saturday’s opener vs. ULM due to disciplinary reasons. Ndulue is the only returning DE with experience along the Sooner front after starting 10 games a season ago. Expect many young pass rushers to get their shot on Saturday, which again, is not a good thing for the Sooners versus a quality opponent.’
8. OKLAHOMA STARTING DE DJ Ward, a freshman, is out for at least 6 weeks with a lacerated spleen. Combining this injury with that of Ndulue and the Sooners are definitely shorthanded when it comes to rushing the passer. They now lack any game experience for their opener, and lost their top freshman to boot.
9. OKLAHOMA has named redshirt Freshman Trevor Knight STARTING QB for the 2013 season. This moves comes as a big surprise as many expected Blake “The Belldozer” Bell to start the season under center due to his experience the last two seasons. Knight is no question talented, and Stoops obviously saw something in him to give him the nod – likely his passing acumen compared to that of Bell.
10. OKLAHOMA STATE STARTING LT Devin Davis is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a torn ACL. The coaching staff in Stillwater was very high on Davis as he started two games LY at LT, and was the definite starter for 2013. Now the Cowboys will have to go with either a redshirt freshman or true freshman in place of Davis. Stay tuned to see who they insert as they may bring over a backup from another position that has a little more experience to protect the QB’s blind side.
11. OLE MISS backup WR Korvic Neat is out indefinitely due to a knee injury. Neat was the #2 WR for Ole Miss LY before injuring that same knee, and heading into this season if healthy was a significant part of the WR rotation at worst being the #4 guy. Ole Miss has greatly ramped up their recruiting efforts of late so there is talent there on the bench, but they now do not have any experienced backups until Neat returns.
12. OLE MISS STARTING TE Christian Morgan is questionable for the Rebels opener at Vanderbilt for undisclosed reasons. Morgan is a very highly touted true freshman that won the starting TE job rather easily considering there was no other TE’s on the roster who have a pass reception to their name. It’s hard to say how big a loss this will be, but considering he is a true freshman, and the Rebels don’t typically utilize their TE much in the passing game, I will say it’s minimal for the time Morgan is out.
13. OLE MISS backup RB I’Tavius Mathers is questionable for the opener at Vanderbilt with an ankle injury. Mathers is currently the #2 RB on the depth chart behind Jeff Scott, whom big things are expected. That said Mathers has experience from his true freshman season of a year ago, and if he is out any significant time that will hurt the Rebels backfield especially considering Scott is only 170lbs and could use some breathers.
14. OREGON LG Mana Greig, who was battling Andre Yruretagoyena for the starting gig is questionable for the Ducks opener vs. Nicholls State with an undisclosed illness. This loss is not big at all, but stay tuned as the season plays out and depth plays more of a critical factor.
15. OREGON backup TE Pharaoh Brown is doubtful for the opener vs. Nicholls State due to an undisclosed reason. He figures to be part of the TE rotation with Junior Colt Lyerla taking most of the snaps.
16. OREGON STATE STARTING SLB DJ Alexander is doubtful for the Beavers opener vs. Eastern Washington with a knee injury. Alexander was one of two returning starting LB’s for the Beavers, and if he were to miss any extended time he would be missed. In addition there is very little experience at any of the backup LB spots, so Alexander cannot miss any extended time without consequences to the team.
17. OREGON STATE has named Sean Mannion STARTING QB for 2013. He narrowly beat out Cody Vaz – and many believe we will see both at some point during the season.
18. PENN STATE redshirt Freshman TE Brent Wilkerson is listed as questionable for the Lions opener vs. Syracuse with a back injury. Wilkerson figured to battle incumbent TE Matt Lehman for the starting gig this year, so his injury isn’t enormous especially this early in the season. Big things are expected from Wilkerson including potentially being an NFL talent down the line, so the quicker he can return and get back in the lineup the better for the Lions down the line.
19. PITT STARTING RB Isaac Bennett is questionable for Monday’s ACC Opener vs. Florida State with a knee injury. Bennett is the projected starter but hasn’t put up huge numbers, and isn’t a highly rated prospect. That being said he was the clear cut starter, and the Panthers offense would be impacted if Bennett isn’t able to go vs. the potent Seminoles front.
20. PURDUE STARTING Senior LG Devin Smith is listed as questionable for the Boilermakers opener vs. Cincinnati with a knee injury. Smith played in 12 games LY as a backup, and was one of two new starting OL for Purdue this season. There is some athleticism behind him on the bench, but no experience whatsoever so if Smith is out that will have an impact on the Purdue OL.
21. PURDUE STARTING MLB Joe Gilliam is questionable for the Purdue opener vs. Cincinnati with a finger injury. Gilliam was the #4 tackler in 2012 and would only leave Purdue with 2 of their top 6 LB’s from LY active in their opener – so his loss would certainly be felt.
22. PURDUE STARTING WR OJ Ross is out indefinitely due to a suspension. No further information is known on his status. In addition to Ross his backup Danny Athrop is out indefinitely with an MCL injury. Purdue had planned on playing quite a few of their young WR’s this season, and with these two injuries they may be forced into action even quicker than expected. With Ross’ suspension Purdue loses their #1 and #2 WR’s from 2012.
23. RICE STARTING Senior CB Phillip Gaines is out for Saturday’s opener at Texas A&M due to a suspension. This is a huge loss for the Owls as Gaines as a 1st Team CUSA player in 2012, and figures to be a high draft pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Rice still has 9 returning starters on defense even with his loss, and I expect Sr. Alex Francis to step into the vacated spot and perform admirably, although he is not as athletic or talented as Gaines.
24. RICE STARTING Senior MLB Cameron Nwosu has been downgraded to doubtful for the Owls opener at Texas A&M Saturday. Nwosu’s absence drops the Owls returning defensive starters to 8 from the 10 expected, and Nwosu is the top returning LB after receiving HM All CUSA the last two seasons. I expect Senior Michael Kutzler to step into Nwosu’s shoes which will be a drop-off in production and athleticism. Nwosu will be tough to replace vs. A&M.
25. RICE STARTING NT Hosam Shahin is OUT FOR THE SEASON due to personal reasons. Shahin’s loss drops the Rice returning defensive starters down to 7 for at least the opening game, and the HM All CUSA member from LY will be tough to replace. I expect Stuart Mouchantaf to fill the role, but while he can bring similar size he lacks experience and Shahin’s loss will be significant.
26. RUTGERS STARTING Senior RG Antwan Lowery is questionable for Wk1 at Fresno State with an ankle injury. Lowery was one of four returning OL for the Knights, and also earned 1st Team All Big East LY. His loss will be significant especially on the road vs. a solid team in Fresno.
27. RUTGERS backup WR Carlton Agudosi is listed as questionable for the opener at Fresno with a hamstring. Agudosi is a highly rated recruit that brings size (6’6) to the position, and thus the sooner the Knights can get him on the field the better for them.
28. RUTGERS STARTING WR/KR/PR Junior Miles Shuler will transfer and thus will be OUT FOR THE SEASON. Although Shuler hasn’t put up big numbers yet during his time at Rutgers he was a very highly touted recruit, and was a key member of their special teams unit. Expect the Knights to fill the WR role with another highly rated recruit, and not much of a difference in experience either.
29. RUTGERS also has 3 defensive backups that are banged up and listed as doubtful for their opener on the west coast vs. Fresno. All three are expected to contribute in 2013:
1. LB Quanzell Lambert
2. DE Max Issaka
3. DE Myles Jackson
30. SOUTH CAROLINA has announced that Mike Davis will be the STARTING RB in 2013. The Gamecocks have some depth at this position, so expect Davis, Wilds and Carson to see some action this season.
31. SOUTH CAROLINA STARTING WR Bruce Ellington is questionable for Thursday’s opener vs. UNC with a hamstring injury. With the loss of Ace Sanders Ellington was to be counted on to provide playmaking and leadership to the young, but talented WR corps. His loss will have an impact even if it’s just in the opener.
32. SOUTH CAROLINA STARTING WLB Cedrick Cooper is listed as questionable for Thursday’s opener vs. UNC with an elbow strain. The entire SC LB corps is new starter’s this season so while Cooper’s loss will impact depth there are others who can step in that are highly touted and produce.
33. SOUTH CAROLINA has two backup OL that were listed as questionable for the opener as of 8/12. Here is the list:
1. Backup RT Cody Gibson
2. Backup LT Mike Matulis
34. SOUTH CAROLINA STARTING TE Rory Anderson is doubtful for Thursday’s opener with a hamstring injury. Anderson had nearly 300 yards LY, and averaged almost 20ypc! Those numbers will be tough to replace although they do have backup Jerrell Adams who picked up valuable experience in 2012.
35. SOUTH FLORIDA has named Sophomore Matt Floyd STARTING QB for 2013. That announcement comes as a surprise to many as Senior Bobby Eveld was expected to win the job. Floyd played LY but had a terrible 0/5 ratio, and I wouldn’t be surprised if more than 1 QB winds up playing for the Bulls this season.
36. SOUTH FLORIDA STARTING WR D’Vario Montgomery is OUT FOR THE SEASON after deciding to transfer to Iowa State. Montgomery was a returning starter as he played extensively as a very highly touted true freshman in 2012. Expect the production to be replaced, but the talent of Montgomery will be tougher to get by without.
37. SOUTH FLORIDA #4 DE Julius Forte is questionable for the Bulls opener vs. McNeese State with a knee injury. Forte brings solid depth to the pass rush as he has played in 32 games since stepping foot on campus. That being said his loss will not be enormous as it will give some of the younger guys a chance to get valuable game reps vs. a subpar opponent.
38. SOUTH FLORIDA STARTING RG Thor Jozwiak is questionable for their opener with a heart condition. His loss would not be enormous as there are backups across the depth chart with similar size and experience.
39. SAN JOSE STATE STARTING Senior OLB Vince Buhagiar is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury. Buhagiar is the unquestioned leader of the Spartans defense, as he returns from a 1st Team WAC season in 2012. His absence knocks down SJST’s returning defensive starters to 4, including losing their heart and soul.
40. TCU STARTING Sophomore DE Devonte Fields, who earned Big 12 Defensive POY and 1st Team All Big 12 LY as a freshman, is out for 2 games due to a suspension. Needless to say this is an enormous loss for the Horned Frogs, especially considering they open their season in Dallas on Saturday vs. LSU.
41. TCU STARTING RT Tayo Fabuluje has quit the team for personal reasons and is obviously OUT FOR THE SEASON. There are more talented guys on the roster listed as backups, but they give up some size and certainly experience to Fabuluje. Expect a drop-off initially until the replacement can get up to game speed.
42. TCU STARTING Junior MLB Joel Hasley has also quit the team and is OUT FOR THE SEASON. Hasley’s absence will drop the Frogs returning defensive starters down to 8 (just 7 while Fields is out), and in addition they lose another very talented player as Hasley was HM All Big 12 LY. There is some experience among the backups, but not as much talent as Hasley will be missed.
43. TEMPLE backup LG Scott Roorda is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a back injury. Roorda played in 12 games LY but all were in a backup role; his role was expected to remain the same this year so his loss will impact the rotation, but TU has other bodies in the lineup ready for their chance so it will not be that big a loss.
44. TEMPLE has named Junior Connor Reilly STARTING QB for the 2013 season. This move did not come as a huge surprise although multiple QBs that played LY are still on the roster this season. Reilly is more of a passer than past Owl QB’s.
45. TENNESSEE STARTING SLB Curt Maggitt is questionable for the Vols opener Saturday vs. Austin Peay with a knee injury. Maggitt was a 3rd Team Freshman All American 2 years ago, and figures to be one of the top defenders on a Vols defense that returns 8 starters and should be among the best in the SEC East. His absence wouldn’t be massive vs. AP, but if it lasted till Wk3’s trip to Oregon, it could have devastating effects.
46. TENNESSEE STARTING CB Riyahd Jones has a calf injury and is expected to miss significant time this season. Jones was a JC transfer that was IFS, and with his absence the job figures to go back to senior Eric Gordon, who started 7 LY. Don’t expect a massive drop in production, but there was a reason UT went the JC route looking to upgrade the CB spot.
47. TEXAS STARTING Senior Ashton Dorsey is questionable for Saturday’s opener vs. New Mexico State with a calf injury. Dorsey is one of 9 returning starters on defense for Texas, and was looked at as the anchor of the interior defensive line for the Longhorns. That being said former starter Senior Chris Whaley will step into Dorsey’s vacated role and play well, with the possibility he even takes over the starting gig.
48. TEXAS STARTING FS Josh Turner is questionable for the opener with a hip injury. If Turner is not able to go I expect Mykkele Thompson to step into the vacated role and perform at a similar level. I do not expect a huge drop-off if Turner misses any time.
49. TEXAS has multiple injuries to their WR corps:
1. Cayleb Jones, one of the top backups and a top rated recruit, has left the team for personal reasons.
2. STARTING WR Jaxon Shipley, LY’s leader in receptions and 2nd in yards, and 2x HM All Big 12 selection, is questionable for Saturday with a hip injury. No question the loss of Shipley would be enormous, but remember the opponent – NMST will not put up much of a fight. If this injury was to last even another week before the Horns travel to BYU it could turn into more of an issue.
3. STARTING WR Mike Davis, LY’s leading receiver in yards, is questionable for the opener with a hernia. Davis had nearly 1,000 yards LY, and his loss would also be huge, especially considering the other two starting WR’s are also banged up before the season has even started.
4. STARTING WR Kendall Sanders will miss Saturday’s game vs. NMST due to a suspension. No further information is given. Despite his absence and the loss of Jones mentioned above, the Texas WR corps should be OK as there are tons of talented prospects waiting their turn, but experience takes a certain hit.
5. Backup WR Marcus Johnson, who played in 8 games LY as a true freshman, is questionable for their opener with an ankle injury.
6. Backup WR Bryant Jackson, who played in 13 games LY and caught a few passes, is questionable for their opener with a knee injury. Again depth is impacted but there remains some talented prospects waiting their turn to take snaps.
50. TEXAS A&M backup QB Matt Davis has left the team and is thus OUT FOR THE SEASON due to playing time issues.
51. TEXAS A&M STARTING Senior NG Kirby Ennis, one of 5 returning starters on defense for the Aggies this year, is listed as questionable for their opener Saturday vs. Rice due to a suspension. There is a lack of experience and size behind Ennis, so expect a drop-off if Ennis doesn’t go.
52. TEXAS A&M STARTING WR Malcome Kennedy is questionable for Saturday due to an undisclosed injury. While there is some game experience behind Kennedy there is not a ton of production, so his loss would be felt some but not a ton.
53. TEXAS A&M STARTING FS Floyd Raven is expected to miss the first half Saturday’s game with Rice due to a suspension. Raven only had 16 tackles LY but played in 13 games, and his backups have little to no experience in game action. Expect a modest drop-off especially considering how many starters are expected to miss their opener with Rice.
54. TEXAS A&M STARTING CB Deshazor Everett is also expected to miss the first half of Saturday’s game vs. Rice.
55. TEXAS A&M STARTING QB Johnny Manziel is expected to miss the first half of Saturday’s game vs. Rice.
56. TEXAS TECH STARTING LG Tony Morales remains injured after missing all of LY and is questionable for the Red Raiders opener vs. SMU. Expect Jr. James Polk to step into his role if Morales cannot go – which should not impact production too much.
57. TEXAS TECH STARTING QB Michael Brewer is expected to miss Friday’s opener vs. SMU with a back injury. If Brewer cannot go there are no QB’s on the roster who have any experience – only a pair of redshirt freshmen, and a walk-on true freshman. This story should be followed closely for certain.
58. TULSA STARTING DT Jack Jewell is OUT FOR THE SEASON because of academics. His loss should not be a huge impact as he played a limited role his first three years on campus, and there is equal size ready to take their shot at a starting role.
59. TULSA STARTING FS Senior Marco Nelson is OUT indefinitely with academic issues. Nelson was one of just 3 returning starters to the Tulsa defense, and was most likely their most talented and critical piece for 2013 coming off a 2nd Team All CUSA season in 2012. There is no experience behind him and this loss will be very impactful.
60. TULSA backup CB Darrell Williams is OUT FOR THE SEASON because of a knee injury. Williams has not played a big role yet for the Hurricanes, so I do not expect this injury to have a huge impact.
61. UAB STARTING Senior WR Jackie Williams, the clear-cut best offensive player for the Blazers after earning 3rd Team CUSA LY, has been dismissed from the team for disciplinary reasons and is thus OUT FOR THE SEASON. The Blazers now lose their top 3 WR’s from LY, and their chances at making a dark horse run at a CUSA title have taken a huge hit.
62. UAB STARTING WLB Shaq Jones is questionable for Saturday’s opener with Troy because of a knee injury. Despite Jones’ injury the Blazers have a pair of backup LBs that can step in, and fill in more than admirably in Daniel White & Derrick Slaughter. This injury is not huge at all.
63. UCLA STARTING SS Dietrich Riley is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a neck injury. Riley also missed all of 2012 with the same injury, so although he was the projected starter for 2013, I expect Senior Brandon Sermons to step in and play just as well as Riley, especially early in the season.
64. UCLA STARTING OLB Anthony Barr, who surprised many LY breaking through and playing to a 2nd Team All American level, is questionable for the Bruins opener vs. Nevada with a head injury. Obviously his loss would be huge for the Bruins as Barr was the clear playmaker defensively for the Bruins in 2012, and that would mean the Bruins only have 4 defensive starters back and 2 starters down for the opener.
65. UCLA STARTING LT Simon Goines is questionable for Saturday vs. Nevada with a knee injury. Goines started 13 games at RT as a true Freshman LY, and his loss would be significant as there is clearly not the talent, nor the experience on the Bruins OL bench to step in for Goines.
66. UMASS STARTING Senior TE Rob Blanchflower is doubtful for the opener at Wisconsin because of an undisclosed injury. Blanchflower has been a big time target in the UMass passing game, and if he is unable to go at Wisconsin, the Minutemen offense will be impacted severely.
67. UNLV backup TE Taylor Barnhill is questionable for the Rebels opener at Minnesota for unspecified reasons. Barnhill played in 12 games LY and caught quite a few passes, so his loss would certainly impact depth although there starter is even more talented than Barnhill.
68. UNLV backup WR Taylor Spencer is also questionable for their opener for unspecified reasons. Spencer played a bunch LY but had limited statistics.
69. USC STARTING RB Silas Redd is OUT for Wk1 at Hawaii due to a knee injury. Redd’s loss is huge for a Trojans backfield that doesn’t have nearly the depth it did LY. Expect the absence of Redd to have an impact on the SC offense, especially considering they will also be likely starting a rookie under center on the road and backup RB DJ Morgan will also miss this game.
70. UTAH STARTING SS Tevin Carter has left the team for personal reasons and is thus OUT FOR THE SEASON. Carter was one of the more talented defensive backs the Utes had on their roster, and he will be missed.
71. UTAH backup RB Jarrell Oliver, who was neck and neck with current starter Kelvin York heading into LY before getting banged up and missing much of the season is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a foot injury. He was currently listed as #3 on the depth chart, and although he didn’t have an overwhelming amount of experience he had the most of any backup on the roster.
72. UTAH STARTING SLB Jason Whittingham is doubtful to play on their opener vs. in state rival Utah State with a hand injury. He was one of 6 returning starters on defense for Utah, and although he is still young as a sophomore he is regarded as a leader on this defense and his loss will be felt.
73. UTAH STARTING LB/DB Brian Blechen is questionable for the opener vs. Utah State with a knee injury. Blechen was HM All Pac 12 LY, and was like Whittingham mentioned above one of 6 returning defensive starters. His loss would be huge if he cannot go.
74. UTSA STARTING ROV Mauricio Sanchez is questionable for Saturday’s opener at New Mexico with an undisclosed injury. Sanchez was battling senior returning starter Cody Berry for the position, with both expected to play a role this season. The loss of Sanchez will not be enormous so long as Berry stays on the field.
75. UTSA STARTING Senior DE William Ritter is out indefinitely after being suspended with legal troubles. Look for senior Jarron Harris to step into the vacated role and keep the level of play relatively stable.
76. VANDERBILT STARTING WR Chris Boyd remains in legal troubles and will not play in Thursday’s opener vs. Ole Miss. LY Boyd teamed with also returning Matthews to form one of the top WR duos in the SEC – so the longer Boyd remains out the tougher the transition to a new QB will be.
77. VIRGINIA has named David Watford their STARTING QB for 2013. This decision was not a surprise whatsoever once it was announced that Philip Sims left Charlottesville.
78. VIRGINIA C Jackson Matteo, who was battling Ross Burbank for the starting C spot, is listed as questionable for the opener vs. BYU with an upper-body injury.
79. VIRGINIA TECH backup DT Corey Marshall is out indefinitely due to personal reasons. Marshall was the #3 DT in the rotation at Tech, and his loss will certainly be felt.
80. VIRGINIA TECH STARTING WR Joel Caleb will miss Saturday’s opener vs. Alabama because of a suspension. Caleb was a very highly touted freshman a year ago and took a redshirt, and was slated to start this season bringing nice size to the position. It’s hard to judge how great his loss will be to this lineup, but it’s certainly going to impact the talent level.
81. VIRGINIA TECH STARTING Senior CB Antone Exum, and his backup CB Donaldven Manning are both out for the opener at least. Exum will miss at least 4 games as he recovers from knee surgery – the hope is he can return for ACC play. Manning has transferred and is thus OUT FOR THE SEASON. This CB spot is in peril and its unknown who will step in and start the opener – whoever it is will be a huge step down from Exum, a 2nd Team All ACC player LY.
82. VIRGINIA TECH RB JC Coleman, who split time with the also returning Michael Holmes LY, is questionable for Saturday vs. Alabama with an ankle injury. Despite Coleman and Holmes splitting the starts LY the coaching staff is very high on redshirt Freshman Trey Edmunds – the current projected starter. Despite not likely to be a starter he was projected to be 2nd string, and his absence will impact the depth which will be tested especially considering 4th string RB Tony Gregory is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a knee injury. Gregory rushed for a modest 450yds in his first three years on campus, but with the loss of two of the four RB’s on the depth chart they will be tested, especially in the opener vs. Alabama.
83. VIRGINIA TECH STARTING LT Mark Shuman will miss at least 4-6 weeks with a knee injury. There is no depth at all along the T spot to step in for Shuman, who played in only 3 games himself LY. Expect a drop-off in production, which could be huge for the Hokies.
84. VIRGINIA TECH STARTING WHIP Ronny Vandyke is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a shoulder injury. Look for his twin brother Devin to step into the vacated spot, and not much of a drop-off should be expected.
85. WESTERN KENTUCKY backup RB Leon Allen will likely miss Saturday’s opener vs. in-state rival Kentucky with an ankle injury. Allen currently is the #2 behind 3rd Team All American Antonio Andrews, so while he will not undertake a huge workload, giving their AA a rest here and there will be felt if Allen cannot go.
86. WESTERN MICHIGAN STARTING WR Jamie Wilson, the MAC FOY LY, is OUT FOR THE SEASON with an ankle injury. This is a huge blow to the Broncos offense as Wilson was the #1 WR for the Broncos in 2012, and CMU is breaking in a new QB this season. There is a remote chance Wilson returns late in the year, but I look for him to take a redshirt and come back next year.
87. WESTERN MICHIGAN backup Senior RB Tevin Drake, who has rushed for over 1,000 yards in his WMU career, is questionable for their opener at Michigan State with a disciplinary issue. The Broncos still have starter Brian Fields and 3rd string Dareyon Chance, so there is enough proven depth remaining for the opener.
88. WESTERN MICHIGAN STARTING Senior C Terry Davisson is OUT FOR THE SEASON because of undisclosed reasons. Davisson was expected to hold the OL together as he was the only returning starter from a year ago. Junior John Hoffing will likely step into the vacated spot – but if the OL wasn’t already a big concern it’s now enormous at WMU.
89. WESTERN MICHIGAN STARTING Senior WLB Terry Easmon tore his MCL in the spring and remains OUT INDEFINITELY. Senior Kyle Lark is expected to take his spot – Easmon’s return is very much up in the air.
90. WEST VIRGINIA STARTING RB Andrew Buie is OUT FOR THE SEASON as he has decided to redshirt. Most of that decision was probably due to the arrival of Houston RB Sims, who transferred to WVU earlier in the spring. Expect Sims to have a POSITIVE impact on the Mountaineers running game, while Buie picks up an extra year of eligibility following Sims departure after this year.
91. WEST VIRGINIA backup STAR Shaq Pettaway is OUT FOR THE SEASON with a torn ACL. Although he was listed as the backup to Will Tonkery he was just as talented and was slated to play almost as much this season. So with his loss Tonkery will have to take on a bigger role, and the depth takes a huge hit as Pettaway was the only backup with experience.
92. WAKE FOREST backup FS Duran Lowe has been dismissed from the team and is thus OUT FOR THE SEASON. With his loss the Deacons have no experienced backups amongst their safeties, thus Lowe’s loss will be felt in the rotation.
93. WAKE FOREST has a PAIR OF STARTING OL that are questionable for their opener vs. Presbyterian. Starting LG Antonio Ford & LT Senior Steven Chase are both listed as questionable for undisclosed reasons. With their opponent being Presbyterian these losses do not figure to be significant. However, the following week the Deacons travel to BC for their ACC opener, and there they could play a role if they miss any action.
94. WASHINGTON STARTING TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is out indefinitely with a finger injury. It is unknown how long ASJ will remain out – but make no mistake, his loss is enormous for the Huskies in this critical season for HC Steve Sarkisian. The Huskies hope to get back their NFL TE by Pac 12 season.
Thanks again for reading, please feel free to:
Email me directly: email@example.com
Visit my website: www.thesportsboss.com
Follow me on Twitter: @SportsBoss
Follow me on Facebook: The SportsBoss
Leave comments here on the blog
COPYRIGHT: THE SPORTSBOSS, 2013